Saturday, September 10, 2011

I miss September 11 . . .

[I've posted this every year since 2006.]


I miss September 11, it may seem strange to say

Before that last plane hit the ground

We became a new country that day



Before the sun had set that night on every US building

There flew our banner of defiance

Our symbol of freedom and unity



Thousands of civilians were commissioned as soldiers that day

To die for a cause they had never heard of

Telling their loved ones they'd be okay



And for a while we rallied and set our differences aside

We carried our torn and battered flag

Into the Olympic arena with pride



I can't believe that we're content to let so many die in vain

Turning on our own countrymen

Pointing accusing fingers in blame



I think if the victims could return. they'd have a speech to give

They'd remind us of their sacrifice

They'd remind us we still live.



I believe in their dissertation, they'd be compelled to offer

A reason and compulsion

To give God glory and honor



To invite Him back into our schools and courts

And quit fighting with each other

To remember what they've given up

For us their sisters and brothers



But here we are a half-decade later, a house divided at best

I wish it was again September 11

When we were America, we were united, and blessed!



© C.R. Alexander, September 11, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment