Thursday, February 19, 2015

Lent Me Your Ears

I’ve been thinking a lot about Lent lately.  It’s hard not to with my Facebook newsfeed blowing up with article after article about it along with suggestions of things to give up for it and reasons why we shouldn’t ignore it.  I was going to just dismiss it this year as I usually do, but I’ve been thinking a lot about it and decided to come up with a worthy offering for 40 Days of Lent.  But before I continue, I apologize to any Catholics out there or any Protestants who value the tradition and precise practice of Lent.  I am not Catholic and I may not officially do it justice, but I believe that a 40-day period of focused intention is a deeply spiritual practice and one I don’t want to miss out on entirely.  I hope you don’t mind me joining you, if sloppily and a day late.

I remember the year I gave up gum.  I could hardly wait for Easter Sunday to come around so I could chomp away at my favorite jaw-breaking snack—Orbit Sweet Mint (if you must know).  The year my husband was deployed, I gave up . . . well, my husband and all the things that go with having a husband.  Naturally, it wasn’t by choice, but I felt it was a sacrifice all the same so I claimed it.  I’m aware that we don’t get points or anything for the measure of sacrifice involved, but I wanted to be a participant.  I started to give up sugar one year.  That lasted about a week and I felt like I had done my thing and failed and it was too late to start over or start with something else.  I’ve clearly missed the whole point, haven’t I?  I don’t want to do that this time.  I want to celebrate it as a sacrifice and a victory, a difficult but satisfying challenge, and a painful but beautiful experience.  I want it to be real.

So this year, I’ve resigned to giving up my insatiable need for personal affirmation.  I’m not going to swallow as many words for fear that someone might not like them or how I present them.  But I will hold them back if they’re not true or kind or necessary or helpful.  My life story is riddled with moments that I have wanted to say something that seemed important in my head, but I’ll have no idea if it was or not because I never said it. Why?  Because I wanted to be affirmed for what I said and how I said it and further, I needed to know if what I said made a difference.  I haven’t written a blog post in over a month because I received backlash last time that I was logically prepared for but not emotionally.  And I only know how about five people who were brave enough to say something to my face felt about it.  The rest of you, I wonder in the back of my mind if I offended you or proved myself a fool.  That was a great introduction into this next 40 days—I will not require your opinion whether positive or negative before saying what I believe to my best ability to be true and helpful. 

This practice will be horrendous for me because I calculate every word I say and how I say it as it’s leaving my vocal cords.  I’ve shut myself up in the middle of a thought on many occasions because of a look of disapproval on your face.  You know that saying, “It’s better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt?” It does not apply here.  I invite you to consider me a fool.  Maybe I am.  How will I ever know if I don’t say anything?  My biggest fear is that you will actually get to know me and realize I’m vulnerable, and foolish, and reckless, and frightened.  I’ve reread and edited this post so many times, I’m afraid the whole season will be gone by the time I post it. As long as I have limited what I've revealed about what I think, you’ve been more likely to encourage me without having the slightest clue who I actually am.  I’m sorry I ever asked this of you, but I dare you to say to me that I’m not actually that great.  (And thank you for letting me say my peace in the first place). 

I wish I could post this anonymously.  I wish I hadn’t written it.  I wish I could go back and write something that 90% of the world would agree with to make me feel like I’m on top of the world.  But that ship has definitely sailed and I’m glad she has.  Ships might be safer in the harbor (if we don’t count the USS Arizona) but that’s not where ships belong. I have had the privilege recently of being vehemently criticized for having said things that I believed were true, helpful, necessary, and kind.  I let the weight of some people’s disapproval destroy my fire.  But it was good practice for these next 40 days, so I thank each of you for disagreeing with me and eloquently telling me why.  Each time I experience it, it gets just a little easier to take.  And yes, I did consider deleting that line about the USS Arizona. 

So, for Lent, I chose the one thing that has the power to destroy my spirit.  Why did I choose it?  Because I want it to be undeniably sacrificial.  Because I want it to be life changing.  Because I want to commemorate every day that I made a commitment.  Because I have a lot of words to say and I rarely ever actually say them.  And in the end, I hope I’ll have developed a new habit.  But for now, the most painful thing I can give up is the façade.  And I have a feeling, I’ll be the one who benefits most from it in the end. 

Maybe that’s the whole idea of Lent.

1 Pet 3:15

No comments:

Post a Comment