Saturday, July 9, 2011

Life Without Cable: or Why Theater Makes me Cry

I don’t know how she does it, but theater extracts tears from my ducts like no movie or book ever has.  I think it’s because the stage taps into more of the senses than the screen or the page.  It doesn’t matter whether it’s “a rhapsody, a symphony, a comedy, [or] a play” (Stewart, 1977), being surrounded by the result of thousands of man (and woman) hours of rehearsal, prop building, directing, and lighting brings some emotions to the surface.  It’s probably because I have ADHD.  It may be because I secretly want to audition for the role of Desdemona in a local theater production of Shakespeare’s “Othello.” 
It’s actually probably because we haven’t had cable TV since 2006 and can barely channel a signal to watch even a snowstorm version of local broadcasts since the conversion from over-the-air to digital a couple years ago.  (Don’t lecture me about a converter box.  We have one.  It doesn’t help.)  So my news sources have come primarily from friends who post on facebook and now, Twitter, since I’m abstaining from facebook for the time being.  We have since discovered Netflix, which allows us to catch up on almost any show we may have missed in the past 5 years sans commercials and in a fraction of the time.  It also has eliminated the anxiety-producing wait time in between episodes.  I still rely on all of you for my newsfeeds though.
Today, my husband and I enjoyed a local production of “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” at The Roxy Theater in downtown Clarksville.  Our friend, Courtney Collins, was featured in the ensemble, so there was extra incentive to see it before it was too late.  At the Roxy, there’s not a bad seat in the house—unless someone with an obnoxiously tall hat sits in front of you. I’m not speaking from experience here.  Even in the second to the last row, I’m pretty sure the reflection from the sequins on Joseph’s amazing dreamcoat rippled across our faces when the stage lights hit it just right.  Generally, it’s a funny production, but when the entire cast poured its heart and soul into describing the hues present in the object of his brothers’ jealousy, “Yellow and purple and peach and violet . . . “ I felt a tear make its way down my cheek. 
I’m sure it was just an especially bright, targeted sequin reflection from Joseph’s coat thanks to the expert position of the spotlight.  I’m sure that’s what it was. 
Does anyone know if a local production of Othello is in the works?

2 comments:

  1. We put our TVs out a few months ago & haven't gone back. I only get my news from facebook or you tube. :) And I do use Hulu for mama-breaks. But I LOVE life without TV.

    I imagine one reason for being more moved by live theatre is that seeing real, live, un-cut talent is a lot more touching than the movie theatre; the actors are REAL PEOPLE. They can actually see your reaction to their performance. They are actually performing FOR you, flaws & all. You can identify more with them than those "perfect" Hollywood types, who don't even see the audience they perform for.......and who are placed "above" them. IMHO :) That said, I don't go to live theatre..........but you're making me want to.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think children's church musicals and high school or college productions are worth checking out and are often affordable, even for a large group. Some college productions will open their dress rehearsals to educators, including homeschool, for free. Check around--there are some great opportunities in your area!

    ReplyDelete