Monday, July 25, 2011

Taking Inventory

Minimized at the bottom of my computer screen is a spreadsheet labeled “Home Inventory.” Corey and I are using it as a means to take stock of the things we currently own, the things we want to own forever, and the things that we could honestly do without.  Man, we’ve got a lot of things!!  Have you ever really thought about what it would take to make a list of all those things? 
A few years ago I was shopping with a friend who found 5 perfect somethings among the wares we were browsing in the store.  As we got back in the car she announced that she would now have to find 5 items in her home to get rid of to make room for the new ones.  I admit, I had never once considered the impact that bringing things into my home would have on the simplicity I crave, the cleanliness I can never seem to attain, or the aesthetic quality of the home of my dreams.  I have lived among stuff for so long, I cannot fathom which things in my life are necessary and which things I am just too lazy to let go of. 
On the radio the other day, the DJ put the question out there: What if you had to whittle your belongings to only 100 things (of the thousands if not, hundreds of thousands of things you already own) for your every day needs.  Could you do it?  As I start my day with my cell phone’s alarm and realize it can only operate correctly with its charger, I am highly aware that I’ve already thrown 3 things onto my list ; unless I don’t have to count electricity, then I’m down by two.  Add Shampoo, conditioner, soap, hairspray, my Mary Kay® Timewise™ cleanser, moisturizer, hand and decollate complex (with SPF 20 of course), Day Solution, and Night Solution, I’ve already claimed 10% of my allotment and I haven’t even started on my make up yet!   I’m afraid I’ll be out of options before I even make it downstairs to start on the coffee. 
I’m struggling a little with how I should respond to the stuff I’ve amassed through many shopping expeditions, gifts, and the generosity of others.  Should I be embarrassed that I have so much and be ashamed of my greediness?  Should I give it away to those who need it more? Should I liquidate it all in a yard sale and use the funds for a more lofty purpose?  I tell you, I will have to come to grips soon with every single item we own.  We are expecting orders to Korea any day and will have to account for every single thing in our home.  Does it go overseas?  Does it go in storage?  Does it get thrown away?  Given away?  Sold?  Every magnet on the fridge and every coffee mug in the cupboard will soon have to be given a designation and a value.  The very thought of the tedious process is beginning to exhaust me. 
But this will be an opportunity to determine the personal value of our things and whether or not they make our lives easier, happier, more organized, more fulfilled, or more frustrated.  For now, I’ll try to take it one thing at a time and not get burdened by the process, but I can’t help but realize that I am way more blessed than I can ever fully report on a spreadsheet.  By the way, we’re having a garage sale Labor Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment