Thursday, November 3, 2011

Post Script: I Believe . . .

Author Note

Following is the list of  “I believe . . .” statements that acted as the springboard for developing my philosophy of education.  This is a raw compilation and no references are cited. 

1.      I believe that a positive attitude goes a long way; That a teacher shouldn’t take herself so seriously that she can’t joke around with her students.
2.      I believe that no matter how aloof students try to act, they really want their teachers to think they’re cool. 
3.      I believe that respect can be mutual and no adult should demand respect from a child based solely on their age or position. 
4.      I believe that education can be fun.  It can also be tedious, but attitude can play a vital role in this.  Whenever possible, learning should be a painless process.  Life is hard enough.
5.      I believe that teaching is more fulfilling when the teacher has planned out what is going to be covered each day, week, and month.  Much gets wasted if the teacher must spend time gathering her thoughts about what to do next.
6.       I believe that ALL students can succeed academically.  Some need encouragement.  Some need help.  Some need to see things from a different perspective.  And some need to just get over themselves.
7.      I believe that the more involved the government becomes in educational matters, the farther it gets from being education, and instead becomes a glorified paper trail.
8.      I believe that it is not bad to “teach to the test.”  All units must have objectives and as long as the tests cover state standards, then they can be made into reasonable objectives.  I do not see much difference between “teaching to the test” and “teaching to the objectives.”
9.      I believe teachers have a profound effect on their students by simply showing up each day.  Some will leave a lasting legacy with their students and others will be examples of what not to do, but all teachers will leave a lasting imprint.  After all, I can remember almost all of my teachers all the way back to Kindergarten.
10.  I believe that the Holy Spirit can play a vital role in the lives of students; even those who do not know God.  I believe that praying for them makes a difference.
11.  I believe that the gospel can be shared without ever uttering a single word.  St. Francis of Assisi said, “Preach the gospel at all times.  If necessary, use words.”
12.  I believe that the content that is taught to our students is not nearly as important as the manner in which they learn the content.  I believe that the process of learning is what trains the mind to receive more information as a student grows to adulthood. 
13.  Whenever possible, projects should be integrational so that what is learned at the beginning of a project opens the door to learn more and dig deeper about a subject.  Whenever possible, build lessons that build on previous lessons. 
14.  I believe there is no better sight than a student who finally “gets” what they’ve been struggling to learn. 
15.  I believe what Robert Frost said, “I am not a teacher.  I am an awakener.”
16.  I believe that good questions and discussion do more to teach than the finest text books.  But textbooks provide a starting place from which to gather many good questions.
17.  I believe that it is a travesty to make learning boring.  Hard is ok.  Boring is not!
18.  I believe that enthusiasm is contagious and students can talk themselves into being excited about something (even something they didn’t think they wanted to learn) if the teacher can show enthusiasm for it without being cheesy.  It’s hard to act bored when you’re around someone who is excited.
19.  I believe technology plays an important role in education, but should not take the place of teaching.  The teacher/student relationship can increase learning potential exponentially compared with reading alone. 
20.  I believe that a smart teacher is the one who knows she can learn more from her students than she can teach them. 
21.  I believe the Bible provides the perfect framework for developing a well-rounded education including the sciences (Genesis, Job), Grammar (inductive study of Bible passages), Algebra and Geometry (solving life’s mysteries and studying measurements in the Bible), Literature (Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Acts, etc.), Character, government, statistics & probability, Judaism, psychology, law, and religion. 
22.  Favorite quotes: “He who opens a school door, closes a prison door.” –Victor Hugo
“I am not a teacher.  I am an awakener.”  Robert Frost.   “Let the little children come to Me.”—Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment